En:using ww3:2013 fall waves school
The "waves school" will start on November 4 . It is intended for graduate students, post-docs, researchers, engineers or consultant that are dealing with ocean wave data of one form or another. The school will draw from the latest developments made possible by the IOWAGA, NOPP-waves, & Previmer, projects, and will benefit from the new (beta) release of the WAVEWATCH III (R) version 4 from NOAA/NCEP.
The program is designed in such a way that people that only use wave data and do not want to run a model can attend day 1 & 2 while the real brave geeks that actually want to install WAVEWATCH III and run the thing will be welcome to stay until late Friday.
- Monday 4, morning, starting at 10 AM (lectures)
- basic principles of ocean waves: elevations, velocities pressure.... and spectra
- different spectral wave parameters: what can be measured and what is usually measured
- wave databases: altimeter and SAR data, buoy data, seismic noise
- examples of ocean engineering applications: long term statistics and ... (TBD)
- Monday 4, afternon (hands-on practical training)
- using long wave data time series
- reading wave model output and altimeter data, performing simple error analysis on wave models
- comparing ocean wave model or buoy data and seismic noise records
- Dinner somewhere...
- Tuesday 5: Physical parameterizations and numerics. Morning:
- parameterizations in wave models and impacts on various quantities: from Hs to air-sea fluxes
- forcing fields: quality of wind fields, validation datasets
- wave model numerics: principles
- wave model numerics: the dark side of limiters, SWAN's "renormalization" ....
- Tuesday 5: Physical parameterizations and numerics. afternoon (hands-on practical training)
- evidence of discretization and numerical scheme effects on coastal wave model results
- Wednesday 6, morning:
- Basic information on installing and running WAVEWATCH III
- desingning and optimizing unstructured grids
- Wednesday 6, afternon (hands-on practical training)
- the polymesh fun fair: grid generation for unstructured grids
- Thursday 7, morning:
- Running WW3 as a multi-grid system
- grid generation for regular grids
- Thursday 7, afternoon: (hands-on practical training)
- more fun stuff (gridgen, polymesh ...)
- Friday 8, morning: to be defined (possibly something more interactive on the different projects of the participants)