En:using ww3:2013 fall waves school : Différence entre versions
|Ligne 2 :||Ligne 2 :|
|Ligne 42 :||Ligne 44 :|
= code and tools versions =
= code and tools versions =
Version du 11 octobre 2013 à 05:50
aims and scope
The "waves school" will start on November 4 . It is intended for graduate students, post-docs, researchers, engineers or consultant that are dealing with ocean wave data of one form or another. The school will draw from the latest developments made possible by the IOWAGA, NOPP-waves, & Previmer, projects, and will benefit from the new (beta) release of the WAVEWATCH III (R) version 4 from NOAA/NCEP.
List of trainers
- 01 Accensi, Mickael
- 02 Alves Henrique
- 03 Ardhuin, Fabrice
- 04 Roland, Aron
List of registered users
- 01 Anthony, Robert : confirmed
- 02 Barbariol, Francesco: confirmed (last 3 days only)
- 03 Benetazzo, Alvise: confirmed
- 04 Benshila, Rachid: confirmed
- 05 Chailan, Romain: confirmed
- 06 Gallagher, Sarah: confirmed
- 07 Gautier, Caroline: confirmed
- 08 Garnier, Valerie: confirmed
- 09 Gualtieri, Lucia: confirmed (2 days only)
- 10 Leckler, Fabien: confirmed
- 11 Lagodan, Sabique: confirmed
- 12 Magne, Rudy: confirmed
- 13 Mansal, Leon : confirmed
- 14 Mediavilla, Dernis: confirmed
- 15 Michaud, Eloise: confirmed
- 16 Mora Escalante, Rodney: confirmed
- 17 Pallares, Elena: confirmed
- 18 Pianezze, Joris: confirmed
- 19 Perez, Jorge: confirmed
- 20 Pein, Johannes: confirmed
- 21 Rawat, Arshad: to be confirmed
- 22 Sepulveda, Andres: confirmed
- 23 Stutzmann, Eleonore: confirmed (2 days only)
Waiting list for November 2013
- 01 Camerane, Amaury
- 02 Yohia, Christophe
Waiting list for March 2014
code and tools versions
The WW3 code version to be used is alpha-4.12, with a tar-ball kindly prepared by Henrique Alves. A request for access to this code version will be sent to NCEP this week (October 7). Due to US gov. shutdown, a temporary ftp site for download may be set up at Ifremer. However please read the licensing agreement and [ ftp://ftp.ifremer.fr/ifremer/cersat/products/gridded/wavewatch3/pub/HINDCAST/publications/WW3_early_distribution.pdf | this clarification by NCEP ] .
Because it is an "alpha" version, there are still a few things that need to be ironed out ... thank you for your patience. On this page you will find a list of known issues ...
- Monday 4, 9-10 AM, Ifremer, Salon de l'ocean: Welcome, coffee, logistics, discussion of participants objectives (e-mail discussions before Monday 4 are welcome): what do you want to acheive / understand with wave data and models.
- Monday 4, morning, starting at 10 AM, Salon de l'Océan (lectures)
- basic principles of ocean waves: elevations, velocities pressure.... and spectra ( 1 hour: Fabrice Ardhuin)
- different spectral wave parameters: what can be measured and what is usually measured ( 20': Fabrice Ardhuin)
- short break (lunch ticket sales)
- wave measurement databases: altimeter and SAR data, buoy data, seismic noise, IOWAGA & Previmer model databases ( 30': Fabrice Ardhuin)
- the NCEP hindcast and forecast database ( 30': Henrique Alves)
- examples of ocean engineering applications: long term statistics ... ( 30': Michel Olagnon)
- Lunch break 1 PM - 2 PM - Tickets for lunch at the Ifremer restaurat will be available for sale (~ 8 € / day).
- Monday 4, afternon, starting at 2 PM (hands-on practical training: computer rooms at IUEM)
- Model and data file formats: ASCII & NetCDF, reading tools. (M. Accensi)
- Exercise starting from spectra, visualizing and recomputing integrated parameters
- using long wave data time series (??)
- reading wave model output and altimeter data, performing simple error analysis on wave models
- coffee break from 4 PM to 4:30 PM & Posters
- comparing ocean wave model or buoy data and seismic noise records
- closing at 6 PM.
- Dinner somewhere ( downtown Brest, around 8 PM).
- Tuesday 5: Physical parameterizations and numerics, 9 AM (lectures, Ifremer, Salon de l'Ocean)
- the wave action equation and source terms, basic principles (F. Ardhuin or H. Alves or A. Roland 30').
- parameterizations in wave models and impacts on various quantities: from Hs to air-sea fluxes. Why results from
this WW3 different can be different from that or that version of WAM or SWAN. So why do we have different wave models? (F. Ardhuin and/or H. ALves 1h50 hours).
- forcing fields: quality of wind fields, validation datasets
- coffee break
- wave model numerics: principles (A. Roland. 1 hour)
- wave model numerics: the dark side of limiters, SWAN's "renormalization" .... (A. Roland, 50 minutes)
- Tuesday 5: Physical parameterizations and numerics. afternoon (hands-on practical training)
- analysis of different model hindcasts and different model resolutions. (spatial, possibly spectral too).
- coffee break and posters from 4 PM to 4:30 PM.
- evidence of discretization and numerical scheme effects on coastal wave model results
- looking at directional spread
- closing .. around 6 PM
- Wednesday 6, morning (9 AM):
- Installing and running WAVEWATCH III: code structure, pre-compilation, running the model: the basic steps, from ww3_grid to ww3_out* (H. Alves. 2 hours ... more?)
- coffee break
- introduction to grid types and multi-grid (F. Ardhuin 30 h).
- specific aspects of unstructured grids (A. Roland 1h)
- lunch break (12:30 to 1:30 PM)
- Wednesday 6, afternon (hands-on practical training)
- setting up and running WW3 on single grids
- coffee break and posters from 3:45 PM to 4:15 PM.
- running a triangular mesh grid and using the results. From preprocessing to post-processing.
- closing at 6 PM or before
- Thursday 7, morning (9 AM, salon de l'océan)
- grid generation for regular grids (H. Alves. 1 hours)
- Running WW3 as a multi-grid system (M. Accensi. 1 hours)
- Mesh generation with polymesh (A. Roland. 1 hours)
- Thursday 7, afternoon: (hands-on practical training, computer rooms at IUEM )
- one simple example with gridgen: a global + regional zoom
- using polymesh
- optimizing a mesh
- Friday 8, morning, 9 AM (hands-on: computer room at IUEM):
- to be defined (possibly something more interactive on the different projects of the participants):
- Coffee break at IUEM (10h30 AM)
- Finishing at 12h30
The material and tutorials will be accessible from here. You may already go to the page En:using_ww3_output